Student Dies After Fall From South Barnard Street Roof


Twenty-one year old Biobehavioral Health student Shannon Mathers passed away Friday evening after a fall from a third-story roof on South Barnard Street near West College Ave. State College Police say Mathers grabbed a high-voltage wire and was electrocuted, causing her to fall from the roof around 6 p.m. Friday evening, the Centre Daily Times first reported.

Centre County Coroner Scott Sayers determined electrocution to be the cause of Mathers’ death after an autopsy on Saturday. Mathers was taken to Mt. Nittany Medical Center after the fall where she was pronounced dead.

Lt. Brad Smail said in a video to the CDT he believes there were two others also on the roof with Mathers at the time of the incident and the investigation is still ongoing. “There doesn’t appear to have been foul play involved,” Smail also said.

The CDT reported that State College Police, Alpha Fire Company, Centre Lifelink, and West Penn Power were all on scene after the incident. Police originally declined comment on why West Penn Power was there although SCPD investigated the roof and the surrounding wires following the fall.

Our thoughts go out to Mathers’ family and friends. We’ll keep you updated as this story progresses.

Photo By: Jack Lukow

About Author

Lexi Shimkonis

Lexi is Onward State's news editor and a grammar fanatic who is convinced that doing the 2015 line dance once a week is not unhealthy. A sophomore studying Civil Engineering, Lexi comes from Spring City, PA (technically). Please email questions and/or pleas for an Instagram caption to, or for a more intimate bond, follow her on Twitter @lexshimko.

Comments are closed.